Hopeless Records along with their nonprofit organization, Sub City, announced “Songs That Saved My Life”, a brand centered around music that benefits mental health and suicide prevention charities. The compilation will be released on November 9th through Hopeless Records and includes covers from bands like Neck Deep, Against Me!, Taking Back Sunday, Dan Campbell & Ace Enders, Movements, The Maine, Dance Gavin Dance, and more. See below for the full tracklisting.
If you, or someone you care about are in crisis, please reach out for help. In the US, you can text HOME to 741741. Outside of the US, you can find many resources at www.hftd.org or www.songsthatsavedmylife.com.
“Songs That Saved My Life” encourages artists to share the cover versions of the songs most important to them and share those very important stories with the world. It benefits Crisis Text Line, Hope For The Day, The Trevor Project, and To Write Love On Her Arms and kicked off today with the release of the song and music video for Neck Deep’s cover of “Torn” (originally made famous by Natalie Imbruglia).
Speaking about why they chose to cover the song, Neck Deep lead singer Ben Barlow said, “This song is a classic for a lot people; it’s actually one of my girlfriend’s favorite songs ever, so we’ve listened to it a lot. It clicked that we could cover it one day when we were on tour, eating somewhere and it came on the radio. We started singing along and quickly realized this would make an awesome cover, once we’d ND’d it.”
“Songs That Saved My Life” was announced on September 10th which is observed as World Suicide Prevention Day in order to provide worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides with various activities around the world since 2003.
On the launch of “Songs That Saved My Life”, label founder and President Louis Posen remarks: “We are forever grateful to all of the bands on the compilation for being the first artists to be involved in the project, and for their courage to talk about how music helped them during difficult moments. If we can all talk about these moments together we will have taken the first and most difficult step in making things better.”
Pre-Order “Songs That Saved My Life” HERE.
Learn more about the benefiting organizations from “Songs That Saved My Life”:
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line offers free, 24/7 support for people in crisis via text. We support people across a range of crises from anxiety and depression, to self-harm and suicide, and lots of crises in between, to help them get from a hot moment to a cool calm.
Text HOME to 741741
For more information visit: https://www.crisistextline.org
Hope For The Day
Hope for the Day achieves proactive suicide prevention by providing outreach and mental health education through self-expression platforms. It’s ok not to be ok, have hope.
For more information visit: https://www.hftd.org
The Trevor Project
The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13–24. The mission of The Trevor Project is to end suicide among gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning young people.
For more information visit: https://www.thetrevorproject.org
To Write Love On Her Arms
To Write Love On Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire, and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery.
For more information visit: https://twloha.com
Songs That Saved My Life Track Listing:
1. Neck Deep – Torn (originally made famous by Natalie Imbruglia)
2. Movements – Losing My Religion (originally made famous by R.E.M.)
3. Stand Atlantic – Your Graduation (originally made famous by Modern Baseball)
4. Dance Gavin Dance – Semi Charmed Life (originally made famous by Third Eye Blind)
5. Against Me! – People Who Died (originally made famous by The Jim Carroll Band)
6. Taking Back Sunday – Bullet With Butterfly Wings (originally made famous by Smashing Pumpkins)
7. Dream State – Crawling (originally made famous by Linkin Park)
8. As It Is – Such Great Heights (originally made famous by The Postal Service)
9. Oceans Ate Alaska – Shape of my Heart (originally made famous by Sting)
10. Too Close To Touch – Let It Be (originally made famous by The Beatles)
11. Dan Campbell & Ace Enders – Broom People (originally made famous by The Mountain Goats)
12. The Maine – Transatlanticism (originally made famous by Death Cab For Cutie)